Red & White Layered Cake
- 1 1/4 cups sliced strawberries
- 10 oz almond or coconut flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp liquid stevia
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat organic buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp red food colouring (or beet juice)
- Coconut cooking spray
- 3 oz goat or buffalo cream cheese
- 1/3 cup organic butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavoured liqueur
- 3 tsp powdered stevia
- 12 whole strawberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place sliced strawberries in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place stevia and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in egg whites.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture.
- Add pureed strawberries and food colouring; beat just until blended.
- Divide batter between 2 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until finished.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool.
- Place cream cheese, butter, and liqueur in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered stevia, and beat just until blended.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Cut strawberry into thin slices and place/fan strawberry on top and sides of cake just before serving.